May 19, 2005

Princeton Review and the ATL

Tomorrow I head to Atlanta for the weekend. I'm going to be in training with The Princeton Review to get certified to teach SAT Prep courses. They're paying for expenses for the weekend, and I'll be in class Friday night and all day Sat and Sun. Then I do it again in two weekends. When I'm done, I'll be certified to teach SAT Prep classes, and then Princeton Review will schedule times for me to teach classes or do one-on-one tutoring in the Savannah area, on nights and weekends. I have no idea what to expect, or how many hours I'll get a week for it or anything. But the pay is decent, I'll get to teach, and it will keep my brain fresh.


I've always been really good at standardized tests (that's not to brag, it's just a proven fact that I am good at taking tests), but I haven't had to do math in 6 years. When I was 19 I took Calc II in college, decided that I wasn't going to do chemical engineering, and then never had to think beyond basic math skills again. I don't remember the Special Triangles from geometry, or algebraic equations (FOIL anyone?), or anything like that. It's true, if you don't use it, you lose it. So I'm kind of looking forward to being forced to remember this stuff again. Plus I figure I'll eventually have to take the GRE for grad school, so what better way to get in the groove than to learn how to be a pro at the SAT?


At any rate, I was looking forward to going until today, when I woke up feeling like I've got the flu again. I have never been sick so much in my LIFE. I don't know where it's coming from. I'm sleeping well, eating well, drinking lots of herbal tea... why do I keep getting sick? I feel fuzzy, my head is pounding, my throat hurts, and I'm sluggish. I'm having a hard time thinking, or doing anything. And I have to drive 4 1/2 hours tomorrow and then sit in 3 hours of class, sleep in a hotel room, and then spend another 7 hours in class. Rinse, lather, repeat. I'm just hoping I can make it. If I don't go, I'll never get to go. They only do this training once every 6 months or so, and I couldn't make it in December. Man, I feel like I can never catch a break lately.


So please pray for me. That I feel better, that I have a safe drive, and that all goes well in the training. But mainly that this illness goes away.

No comments: