May 24, 2005

ATL Last Weekend

So I never did remark on how the weekend in Atlanta went with the Princeton Review Training. All in all, it was pretty good. They put me up in a nice hotel, my food was comped, and the trainer was pretty energetic, which kept my attention. He was a bit rude to everyone, and demanded a LOT of work from us Saturday night (then after we all lost sleep studying to be prepared to teach a section of the book, he came in Sunday morning whining that he was in a bad mood and didn't get much sleep because he was out partying the night before. Oh yeah, we all felt a whole lotta sympathy for him). But at least he was a good at the teaching aspect of things.


While I was in town, I got to see Brooke for an evening, and we caught up on each other's lives, so that was nice. And my brother-in-law, Sam, met up with me for lunch on Saturday, which was also cool. Not a bad weekend, I must say.


I'm not a big fan of driving long distances all by myself, and 4 hours straight is, to me, a long distance. So I really wasn't looking forward to the trips there and back. But my rental car was very enjoyable, and that made things easier. It was an Elantra, and I really liked how it handled, and how easy it was to set and adjust the cruise control. I also got a couple books on tape for the trip, so I could keep my brain working, and I think that made it a lot easier. I started out with C.S. Lewis's The Great Divorce." I really enjoyed that one. I can't for the life of me remember the proper term for this kind of book,* where he's telling a fictional story but throwing in a lot of theology and "stuff to think about" in the middle, much like "The Screwtape Letters." But the second one I tried was "The Abolition of Man." This was NOT a story, it was 3 essays on related topics of thought, and was way too philosophical for me. I would try to tell you what it was about, but I couldn't keep my mind focussed on it, so I really have very little idea. I tried, really hard, through about 3/4 of the book, until I realized that I hadn't been paying attention and really had no idea what he was saying, and finally gave up. Alas.


* Whoever is first to tell me the literary term for this kind of writing will receive my eternal admiration, and perhaps a cookie.

1 comment:

kendra said...

The word I was looking for is allegory. I don't know why I couldn't think of it. Even worse, I can't believe no one else could think of it. Maybe I really do have zero readership.