June 28, 2005

What's IMDB?!?! (incredulous look)

So I realized that a service I considered to be really well-known isn't so well-known. And yes, I'm talking about IMDB, the same site I was rambling about yesterday. Chris and I will sometimes make comments to people such as "I need to IMDB that movie" or "Well, I checked him out on IMDB and..." and typically no one bats an eye. But lately people have been asking "What's IMDB?" and this is, for some reason, shocking to me. I am starting to even suspect that some of the people who didn't bat an eye at comments were just afraid to ask what it was. I mean, I expected to have to inform my Dad, because Dads never know the cool websites. But these are young, relatively savvy people who are asking what it is.

And so I want to make sure, for any of you who have been afraid to ask, IMDB is a super-cool site which keeps a comprehensive database of everyone who's had anything to do with any TV show or movie. You can have fun playing the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game just by clicking through different actors and what they've been in and who's been in it with them. Chris and I love finding out how many movies a certain actor has been in with a certain director (for example, Johnny Depp with Tim Burton). You can also find out that Johnny Depp is already slated to be in 7 movies coming out between now and 2007, and one of those is a Tim Burton movie. See how much fun this is?



And by comprehensive, I mean that you can find our friend and PEZ documentary partner Chris Marshall because he interned on Swimfan (and the lower half of his body and his hand are in it, but he's not credited for that). And, for you Gainesville folks, did you know you can also find Lori Taylor and her 1970 movie, Mark of the Witch? (And if she hasn't told you her story about the movie, you must ask her).


Ahh yes, I love IMDB. You should too.

No comments: