June 13, 2005

Sprout Crazy

So I've been sprouting some mung beans over the past couple days so I could make Phad Thai tonight with them, and man do these things grow like crazy! I started out with 50 cents worth of dried mung beans. Mung beans are small and green and about half the size of a dried black bean. 50 cents worth is about half a cup, give or take. Well, after soaking them over night and then leaving them in a jar for 3 days (rinsing them about every 8 hours, as directed) I now have more sprouts than I know what to do with.



Exhibit A.


I easily have 5 cups or more worth. These things grow like crazy! So I made some weird mustard and bean sprouts stir fry for lunch with almost 3 cups worth (I have enough for lunch tomorrow, too). And tonight I'm making Phad Thai with the rest of them... hopefully. I may still have some left over though, and I'll need to come up with yet another item... a salad, maybe. They're yummy, and fun, but getting a little out of hand. Next time I'll try just sprouting 15 cents worth and see where that gets us. I have a feeling that will be closer to right for one meal.


My next adventure will be to try sprouted black beans & rice. We already like black beans and rice, so we'll see how it is once they're growing... I just started soaking the beans and some brown rice to try it out. The best part is Chris doesn't sound scared of my experimenting (he loves the Phad Thai) so that's always good, considering he's such a picky eater.

1 comment:

chris said...

i'm not picky...i just know what i like.