June 10, 2005

Hurricane Season again!

Wow, it seems like we just escaped last year's brutal hurricane season, and it's upon us again. That means I'll have to start keeping a cursory eye on NOAA again. This hurricane season I'm not at the TV station, so I don't get a daily hype about how "This one is really going to kill us all." But considering the next few years are supposed to abound in hurricanes, and not only do we live on the coast, but most our family and friends are in Florida, I feel like I'm obligated to watch out for them. I miss the days when classes were cancelled in college and I had no idea why, only to find there was a hurricane coming right for us. Ignorance was bliss.


I feel like I can't compose a proper sentence, or think in proper sentences, because I just spent about an hour today learning how to get certified to grade SAT essays for The Princeton Review. The cool thing about essay grading for them is that you can do it from home, and you get $1 per essay and each one shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes to grade. But it's hard to figure out the right way to grade them. And between learning how they should be graded, and taking the certification test, I read about 3 dozen bad high school essays. Lots of poor structure and poor reasoning and poor spelling. My brain hurts.


Unfortunately, I did all that only to discover that there was currently only 1 essay that needed grading. That's right, one. So I made $1.00 today. Woot.


I don't feel like I wasted my time because there will eventually be more to grade, plus it gives me more insight into teaching the essay writing portion of the class. But it was still a buzzkill to only get to grade 1 essay after all that.


Such is life.

No comments: