June 02, 2005

Slight Reformed Frustration

So Sunday, Chris and I went to church at IPC less than a mile from us. We prefer to go to a church out on Whitemarsh Island, but the drive is a little too far, so we thought we'd give this one a chance again (we hadn't been there in months). Anyways, in the bulletin under an announcement about evening service out on Point Pleasant, was a note that a lot of people go out there early to enjoy fellowship before the service (and I guess it's at an outdoor park or something), but that we needed to keep in mind that not all recreational activities are permitted on the Lord's Day - only activities that are glorifying to God are permitted, as stated in the Westminster Catechism.


So Chris and I figured, if they took the time to print this in the bulletin, there must be some sort of specific idea they have as to what is and is not permitted. But we certainly didn't know what that meant. I mean, I know people who won't go to a store on a Sunday because they believe you shouldn't work. When Chris and I lead Youth Group in Gainesville, we weren't allowed to take the kids to see The Passion Of The Christ on a Sunday, because some elders had a problem with us watching a movie on Sunday. But considering everyone has a different idea of what's permitted, we had no idea how to take this message int he bulletin. I asked a couple friends who attend there, and they didn't know either.


So yesterday I asked our RUF minister, who is also a member at the church. He went back and forth on making sure I knew that some members of the church believe this, and certainly the pastor does, but there's different ideas as to what extent to take that, and... basically... never answered my question. We tried to push him to give us some sort of answer, "Okay, well if we were to go out to Point Pleasant, what recreation could we do and not do? Would we be allowed to play Frisbee? Or is that not focussed enough? Are we expected to just get together and sing hymns?" and still, no answer. This was surprising because Tom is usually very straightforward about anything you ask him, so this was obviously a touchy subject.


So after all this time, I still have no idea what IPC means in their bulletin when they make the distinction of only engaging in worshipful activities on the Lord's Day. Certainly they meant something. Certainly they put it in there with certain activities in mind to encourage, and other ones to discourage. But if no one knows what's being encouraged and discouraged, what's the purpose? Doesn't this really just start getting a little too law-based? (without any definite law, even!) And if no one can agree on what the standards are, how are they supposed to enforce the standards? I start envisioning a bunch of Pharisees bickering over whether or not Jesus can pick a grain on the Sabbath.


So I'm a little frustrated about the whole thing. I was started out just being curious about this particular church's stance on this issue, and now I think I'm just a little more turned off by this church. Bleh.


(Yes, that's right. When it's time for me to wrap up this post, the best I can come up with is "Bleh." That's all I'm left with. Sorry.)

No comments: