September 22, 2010

Zeke’s Butternut Squash Muffins

I started making these muffins soon after Zeke started eating enough solids that we needed to bring snacks with us so he had finger foods to munch on. They're still one of his favorite foods, months later. Gluten free and vegan (if you omit the eggs), and relatively healthy! I wouldn't let Zeke eat them all day long, but a couple muffin bites a day keeps the little man happy.

I've passed along this recipe a number of times, so I thought it was time I put it up online.

Remember, this is all easily adaptable. For instance, If you don't have tapioca starch, you can use another kind of starch that you have in the house. If you want dried cranberries in yours, go wild. This is just a start.

Zeke's Butternut Squash Muffins.

Adapted from Tova's Chia Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups steamed and pureed butternut squash (or pumpkin, or sweet potato)
  • 1 cup gluten-free flour of choice (I use 1/2 cup brown rice and 1/2 cup sorghum)
  • 1/2 cup tapioc starch (or arrowroot)
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp ground flax mixed with 6 tbsp warm water (or 2 eggs)
  • 1/4 cup high-quality extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla
  • Optional: nutmeg, cinnamon, and/or crushed nuts.

Directions:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350°
  2. Mix all ingredients together
  3. Spoon into muffin tray or muffin bites tray. (If pouring into a muffin tray, only fill each cup about 1/3 to 1/2 full).
  4. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until tooth pick insterted comes out clean (often takes longer than this to cook)

I usually make these in a "brownie bites" tray so that they're pretty small, but there's more batter than what fits into that tray so I pour whatever is left into normal sized muffin tins. I only fill them about 1/2 way full, and they do not rise much. After they bake and cool, I stick a couple in the fridge and freeze the rest. Then I'll pull out as much as I plan to let Zeke have early in the morning and put it in the refrigerator. Once I'm ready to give him some, it's thawed out and I can cut it into bite-sized chunks. If I'm taking them "on the go" with me, I will cut them into chunks before we leave the house, and store them in a small tupperware. Then they're ready whenever the little bug needs a snack.

Here's a printer-friendly PDF.

No comments: