September 02, 2010

Fatten up your Baby


This one is short and sweet and for all you mommas out there whose pediatricians are a little concerned because your baby is in a lower weight percentile.

This is what I fed Zeke when our doc was concerned about his weight when he was 6 months old. What can I say, the kid has a high metabolism, and his momma produces 2% milk instead of cream. When I needed to get some more fat in my little man's diet, pretty much the only solid he would eat was bananas. So this is what I came up with:

Zeke's Chubby Cheek Breakfast Mush:
  • 1/2 of 1 banana
  • 1/4 of 1 fresh avacado
  • 1 tbsp flax meal
  • dash of cinnamon (optional, only if you know your baby can handle cinnamon. Turns out mine is allergic to it.)
That's it! Mash it all up together and then serve. Flax and avacado are both full of healthy fats, and omega 3s. Fantastic for brain development along with being a great way to add some chub to those cheeks.

When Zeke got chubby enough (after some time, people actually started remarking how he'd put on some some pounds!), I started easing off the avacado. I would cut it into chunks and freeze the chunks, then set down one chunk to thaw every night so it was ready for breakfast in the morning.

Now that Zeke is older, I put the avacado chunk, banana, and flax in his daily smoothie (along with extra goodies like blueberry, spinach, and carrots).

Let the chub begin!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

this stuff definitely works - those cheeks are insane!