November 30, 2005

The Case of the Missing Wheel

While Chris is galavanting all over New England for the PEZ movie, I had my own adventure Tuesday morning in Savannah, when I left my apartment to drive 90 minutes to work only to discover that my car only had 3 wheels. The other one was stolen and replaced with an old car battery which propped the car up. (yes, the whole wheel. Rim & tire. This seems to be a common question). The last thing I had stolen from me in Savannah was a bike tire off my bike, so obviously the criminals that prowl my street like rubber. And of course this would happen the first time ever that Chris has gone out of town without me since before we were married. And while everyone else I know in this town is out of the state for vacation. (This all sounds oddly familiar, because the last time I was left all alone without Chris or anyone else I knew in town, my water tank exploded on the road and I came down with an terrible stomach flu and could hardly get out of bed, let alone take care of myself).


At any rate, I spent Tuesday morning talking to police, buying lugnuts to fasten the spare doughnut to the car (thanks to some friendly officers who took me to the car supply place and put the wheel on for me), hunting down a rim that fit my car (two junkyards later), and finally waiting at Sam's for an hour to have the rim and a new tire put on the car (I was the first person TO Sam's but somehow at least 3 cars were serviced before mine... I even overheard someone telling the girl working the counter that I should have been in front of these other people). So I was massively late to work, but luckily made it in time to teach my classes. And I didn't even break down in tears. Being the big sissy I am, that's saying something. I did, however, wake Chris up to whine to him and call both my parents more than once during this whole mess.


Unfortunately, at the moment I can't say I learned anything from this ordeal, other than I should never let my husband leave the state without me.


As for Chris, he's in New Jersey today, and will be in Connecticut, New York City, and Washington DC tomorrow, and hopefully will be on his way home to me Friday. He's got all kinds of exciting stuff happening, which he'll be talking about at Making of PEZheads - The Movie when he gets a breather.

1 comment:

.tif said...

Hey! What an awful day! I am so sorry I didn't call you back. Yay for nice, caring officers of the law to help you out. You're in my prayers!