April 26, 2005

Heathers

Last night Chris and I watched Heathers for the first time ever. Now, before I hear all the "What? You've never seen HEATHERS?" comments, I do want to point out that I was, uhh, nine years old when it came out. And it's not exactly appropriate for children. So it's not all that surprising that it's missed my radar all these years. But the main reason we watched it, I think, is because it's constantly being referenced in pop culture, so we figured we had to watch it to get all the references. Sort of like how everyone has to watch A Clockwork Orange, or Sofie's Choice... speaking of which, I hear a reference to Sofie's Choice at least once a week (usually in the form of "This isn't exactly Sofie's Choice"), and I've never seen that either, so that's next on my Official Pop Culture Reference Movie List (otherwise known as the OPCRML). Yeah. I'm off my tangent now.


In summary, Heathers was a really messed up movie. It was more disturbing than I expected it to be, but I think I'm disturbed by odd things. But it was great to laugh at silly 80s fashion in the movie, like the massive shoulder pads... knowing all the while that shoulder pads will probably come back into fashion. And that, my friends, may be the most disturbing thing yet.

No comments: