November 07, 2009

My Recipe for Yummy Veggie and Chicken Noodle Soup


On Saturday I finally made my favorite chicken noodle soup, that I haven't taken the time to make since Zeke was born. It was super tasty and so I decided to finally write down my "recipe" to share. Just a reminder that you can ammend as necessary if you don't have something or don't like something in the recipe. We usually have all this stuff in the fridge, and when Chris bakes chicken thighs he always makes extra for me to shred and freeze for later recipes. We also had some extra broccoli prepared for omelets last night, so I threw what was left into my soup. I don't usually add broccoli, so even though it's in the photo it's not in my recipe below.

Kendra's All-natural Yummy Veggie and Chicken Noodle Soup
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 5 oz. cooked shredded chicken thigh or breast
  • 1 small yellow onion or 1/2 a large onion, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 3 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 cups of greens (spinach, or kale, mixed greens, whatever works).
  • 1 bag spaghetti-style tofu shiritake noodles
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • pepper to taste
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  1. Put water, chicken broth, onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and olive oil in a pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce to medium heat, it should be boiling lightly for 10-15 minutes or until carrots are as soft as you want them.
  2. While that's boiling, rinse the tofu noodles, cut them in half, and microwave for 1 minute.
  3. Mix in the salt, cumin powder, onion powder, pepper, and pinch of cayenne pepper.
  4. Mix in the greens, and shredded chicken. Let simmer for another 3 minutes or so until greens have wilted.
  5. Get two big soup bowls*. Put half the tofu noodles in each bowl. Ladle the soup over the noodles, half in each bowl.
  6. Serve!
* For me this makes 2 big bowls of soup, depending on how much you eat you might want to break it into more bowls. I have found that the noodles are hard to divide evenly if they are added to the pan of soup, which is why I put the soup on top of it. Sometimes I do the same thing with the chicken, heating it first and then just adding as much as I want for each bowl to the top of the soup.

No comments: