August 31, 2006

Insomnia

Those of you who know me know that I do my best design work at night. For whatever reason I can be much more productive after 8pm than I can during daylight hours... and although I may spend a whole day trying to get design-type things accomplished, I seem to just be flailing about until evening. It's just the way my body works, and I've always been like this... even in high school I would half-doze through the school day, come home and take a nap (my mom would usually yell at me to wake up because she didn't understand why I was asleep in the middle of the day), eat dinner with the family, then be wide awake and ready to socialize and study until 2 or 3 in the morning, when I'd catch a couple hours of sleep before starting all over again.


Well, I lost out on a lot of productivity time over the weekend with that wretched food poisoning (I think we did settle on it being food poisoning, fever and all, because apparently that comes along with a good dose of bad food), and today I really needed to make up for it. I spent most of the day doing random work that needed to be done, took a nap from 6-7, had some dinner, and have since been staring at this computer screen, zipping away on about a thousand different tasks. I've marked a LOT off my "To Do" list tonight. The problem is, at 3:30 when I was at a good stopping place and wanted to get some sleep, I couldn't. I'm still wide awake, thinking of all the other little things that I need to do.


So here I am, almost 5am, with more little things checked off my list, trying to figure out what else I can get done. I know that tomorrow is going to be pretty miserable now that my sleep schedule is entirely out of whack, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that. So. At least I'm (finally) being productive. Considering the fact that my July was an exhausting behemoth from which I still feel like I'm trying to recover, I feel like this has been the first time I've had some control over my life in about 2 months. I must say I'm a little relieved.

No comments: