August 14, 2008

The Gourd Purse

green crocheted, felted gourd purse, closed
green crocheted, felted gourd purse, open

I made this a month or so ago, but just finally got around to having The Chris photograph it for me. Both pieces are crocheted with Lion Wool, using a popcorn stitch for the bumps, then felted. I call this my gourd purse because once it was done I decided it looks very much like a gourd, although I don't think that was the intention.

In case it's hard to tell from the photos, the purse has a small handle and a large one; the large handle fits through the small one to close up the purse for carrying it. That does mean it takes a little more work to get things out of it, because you have to slide the handle out, but it's so cute that I decided I'm okay with it. I'm pretty happy with the metal ring for an accent, too... it's great for clipping my keys onto. And the little orange cozy is actually the perfect size for my ipod mini, but I find it comes in handy to hold my Marta card, my apartment complex gate card, and my chapsticks. You know, all the little things I need to have handy at a moment's notice.

And since this shade of green is currently my favorite color, the gourd has become my favorite purse.

I made these up on the fly and I'm still terrible and writing out patterns as I go, so I'm no help there. Sorry.

3 comments:

Sister-man said...

I want one!

Mindee said...

Hey Kendra, I am a friend of Sam and Nicole's and met you at Nicole's bachelorette party in Va. Saying all that I just wanted to say that I love this new purse. Let me know if you ever open an Ebay store or the likes.

kendra said...

Thanks, n8dawg! I will definitely let you know if I ever wind up with an etsy store or something. I keep thinking about developing a few patterns and such and giving it a shot, but time will tell. Thanks for the encouragement!