August 13, 2008

Compost

So I've been wanting to experiment with a tiny porch-sized compost bin, but I was determined not to spend money on a box for my experiment. All my research on composting told me just a few things, like the fact that I should start with some paper scraps, then some old brown leaves, then my fruit, veggie, and coffee scraps. Oh yeah, and that the container should be dark. So as I was determinedly looking through all my stuff to figure out what I could repurpose for my compost bin, I came across this black plastic CD rack that we were going to take to Goodwill, and I realized that with a few holes drilled in the top, it would make a great mini-composter... with three different partitions so I can have a few different stages of compost at any given time.

So I was pretty proud of myself.

No comments: