September 19, 2005

My brother is so cool

So my brother and his girlfriend are on vacation this week, and they stopped by to visit on Saturday. They've already done the tourist-Savannah stuff, so we basically just hung out. When I told him about my dead Mac desktop that I don't know what to do with, he decided to take a look, because he used to work at a computer repair place. Well, we didn't fix the mac, but what he *did* do is salvage my hard-drive, which made me very happy. I'm kind of afraid to take apart computer stuff, because I don't know what all the parts do. But I told him to have at it, so he took apart my external hard drive, swapped the hard drive in that with the desktop hard drive, and then we plugged that one into my new laptop... sure enough, it worked! I was able to retrieve what little was on there that wasn't on my backup drive, and then I was able to wipe it so that I can get rid of it without worrying about someone getting my old info. Ah, happy day.


We tried modding the case so that my external drive housed both harddrives, but it didn't quite work. So for now I've just got everything back to normal, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with that desktop. Now we're guessing it's the power supply that's shot. But everything else works just fine.

No comments: