February 26, 2009

Baked Sweet Potato & Black Beans



Chris came up with this tasty dinner idea for me a few weeks ago... at first I was skeptical, but it's actually very tasty. Kind of like a baked potato w/ chili topping, but I am allergic to both baked potatoes and tomato sauce, so this version is a baked sweet potato with black bean soup topping.

And Chris makes some fantastic black beans... for this batch he sauteed onions, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil with some creole spice before adding the black beans. I topped it off with some cheddar cheese and some plain yogurt (instead of sour cream) and had quite the tasty meal. The slight sweetness of the sweet potato is actually a great compliment to the spicy black beans.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone is getting tired of their normal dinner options and was in search of a new idea. The best part is it's healthy AND cheap!

No comments: