April 11, 2006

please explain

I've recently (this week) been obsessed with the absurd popularity of myspace. Notice I didn't say I was obsessed with myspace, but rather I am struggling to understand why it is so darned popular that it is listed as the second-most-trafficked website, and generates a ridiculous amount of revenue.


So far all I've figured out from it is that I can talk to people that I already talk to on the phone, or via email. I mean sure, there's the potential to "reconnect with old friends" but frankly, all I see that as is a means to find them, message them, then move on to emailing or calling them. So why do people hang out on myspace all day and talk about how they're addicted to it, and tell people that a myspace account is about as important to life as an email address or a phone number? Why, why why?


I am most perplexed because I used get why certain things were popular online, being a child of the interet and an early adopter of email (before people knew what email was, I was running up bills on Prodigy when they had a 30-email-a-month limit that I didn't realize existed). So I feel a little out of touch that I can't figure out why it's so darned popular.


Explain, please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a MySpace account. I use it mainly to keep in touch with people from G'ville and a few from high school. Nothing fancy; I don't go all-out like most of the folks on there.

kendra said...

yeah, I have one too, but mainly because I'm trying to figure out why it's so special. I just haven't figured out what keeps people on it for hours on end and what keeps bringing them back.