October 01, 2011

Pen Holder Bookmark - Free Crochet Pattern

I have been pretty obsessed with pinterest lately as a source of ideas for crafty fun times. After seeing a photo of a knitted pen tube bookmark on pinterest, I decided I had to have one. But I don't knit, so I just winged it and came up with a pretty simple pattern for a crochet version for my notebook.

Download the printer-friendly PDF version.

Materials:

sock-weight yarn
Hook Size: D -3.25mm
button
Yarn Sewing Needle

Stitches:

ch = chain stitch
hdc = half double crochet
hdc dec = half double crochet decrease (one hdc across two stitches)
FLO = front loop only
sc = single crochet
sl st = slip stitch
st = stitch

Pattern:

ch 5
R1: sc in 2nd chain from hook, sc in each additional chain (4 sc)
R2: ch 1, 4 sc (4 sc)
R3-6: Repeat R2
Rnd 7: ch 1, 4 hdc FLO, turn and in the SAME stitches, 3 hdc FLO, 1 hdc inc FLO in last sc. join first hdc with last hdc using a sl st. (9 hdc)
Rnd 8 : ch 1, turn, 9 hdc around, sl st to join. (9 hdc)
Rnd 9-21: Repeat rnd 8
Rnd 22: 2 sl st, 2 sc, 2 hdc, 2 sc, sl st
Rnd 23: ch 1, turn, skip sl st, 1 sl st, 1 sc, 2 hdc, 1 sc, 1 sl st
Rnd 24: ch 1, turn, skip sl st, 1 sl st, 1 sc, hdc, 1 sl st
Rnd 25: ch 1, turn, skip sl st, 2 sc
Rnd 26: ch 1, turn, 1 hdc dec
ch 40 to create bookmark strip. FO and leave a long tail.

Finishing Touches:

Sew the button to the middle of the area made by the first 6 rows. If you will be using this bookmark with one specific notebook, put the body of the bookmark on the spine, wrap the tail into the book, wind the end around the button and pull tight. Use that “measurement” to tie a loop that can hook onto the button.
If this bookmark will be “multiuse” between books, you can just pull the tail tight and wind it back through the book to keep it secure.

Notes:

The person who wrote the original design sells the knitting pattern on ravelry and on her own site, as well. This crochet pattern is released as Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. You may not sell this pattern. You may sell bookmarks made using this pattern.

5 comments:

Marjan said...

This is the pattern I´ve been waiting for all my life... And I didn´t even know it!!!
Brilliant :)

I´ll start NOW!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I found this picture on Pinterest. Searched and viola! Thank you. I may do this today.

Unknown said...

I need help with R7: can someone clarify the part that says HDC in the SAME stitches?!? Please :)

kendra said...

KC - so for R7, you start out crocheting in only the front loops, then turn and crochet in the back loops of the same stitches... that was you wind up with a round where you initially just had a row. Does that make sense?

Unknown said...

Thanks for this pattern!! Really excited to get it started. I'm actually a knitter but learning to crochet at the moment so this would be brilliant as a project... although perhaps not to begin with!

I've given it a go, but having trouble with R7 and R8 - particularly this bit here:
1 hdc inc FLO in last sc. join first hdc with last hdc using a sl st. (9 hdc)

I'm lost! I understand: 1 hdc increase through the front loop only in the last single crochet (but where is the single crochet? Do you mean a single crochet in an earlier row?)

And where do the 9 hdc come from? and then why does it need to be joined again in R8? Sorry, I can read knitting patterns like a book, but as crochet is new to me, it'll take some getting used to!

Thanks again for this, having lots of fun learning!!